medical insurance

Why won’t the other driver’s car insurance pay my medical bills?

Vehicle accidents can cause both physical and emotional damage and car insurance may not cover the repairs. Car insurance often pays well after treatment which means that bills and collection calls may put a strain on you before you have the ability to fix it. Brian Elston Law is well-versed in personal injury involving vehicle accidents and is ready to guide you through what you need to know — Contact us today.

Here’s the scenario:
– Your hit by another driver in a car accident
– The accident was not your fault
– You go to emergency room, or follow up with your doctor
– You tell them you were in a car accident
– Other driver’s insurance company admits fault
– You start receiving medical bills in the mail
– You call and tell the other driver’s insurance company. Other driver’s insurance company says they’ll take care of it
– Collection letters, from Revclaims, First Point, or Bull City for example, start to come in the mail

If you weren’t at fault, why are they asking you to pay for medical bills?

Unfortunately, car insurance doesn’t operate like health insurance. Generally speaking, car insurance companies do not pay for the injured-driver’s medical expenses as they are incurred. Instead, they make one lump sum payment, typically after the injured driver is through treating. This can put a real mental and financial strain on the driver who’s already hurt.
However, there are things that can be done to ensure that an injured driver has access to medical care. Accessing a driver’s “Medpay”, as explained in an earlier blog post, may provide monetary relief to an injured driver. A letter from an attorney notifying the medical provider about the situation and agreeing to protect the provider’s “lien” may allow an injured driver to continue to treat without having collection agencies chase after them.

If you are receiving collection letters from medical providers when you were in a motor vehicle accident that was not your fault, contact my office and we can discuss your legal rights and options.

Let's Talk


80 Central Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801


Weekdays: 8:30 am - 5:30 pm

Weekends/After Hours:
Call or Text For Appointment

Request a Consultation

Maximum Justice. Minimum Stress

The Law Offices of Elston, Donnahoo, & Williams

The Law Offices of Elston, Donnahoo, & Williams, P.C., is a personal injury law office in Asheville, NC, dedicated to fighting for people who need it most. Our practice areas include personal injury, workers compensation, wrongful death, employment law, civil litigation, and more.

At The Law Offices of Elston, Donnahoo, & Williams, P.C. our success comes from our willingness to serve individuals and families all across North Carolina with our high-quality personal injury and workers' compensation advocacy. We know how difficult it is to suffer a personal injury and / or workplace injury and how hard this must be for you and your family. Our team of attorney’s are here to help you make the process as easy and stress free as possible. To learn more about what our firm can do for you, just give us a call or a text. If you would like to learn more about how our firm can assist with your case, we encourage you to contact us immediately. We are proud to offer 100% free, confidential consultations.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

The verdicts and settlements listed on this site are intended to be representative of cases handled by Brian Elston Law. These listings are not a guarantee or prediction of the outcome of any other claims.